Make-A-Wish® Mid-Atlantic is the charity benefactor of two of Bishop’s Events, LLC races:
- October 12, 2014 – Race Upon the Occoquan 5k & 10k
- December 14, 2014 – Frigid 5k & 10k
Make-A-Wish® Mid-Atlantic receives 25% of the profits generated from the events.
Make-A-Wish® Mid-Atlantic is celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2013! Founded in 1983, Make-A-Wish Mid-Atlantic has granted the wishes of almost 8,000 children fighting life-threatening medical conditions such as cancer, pediatric AIDS, Spinal Muscular Atrophy, Duchene’s muscular dystrophy, kidney and heart disease.
- Our mission is to grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.
- In fiscal year 2013, the Mid-Atlantic chapter granted 365 wishes. The most popular wish is to visit a theme park.
- Typically, children’s wishes fall into four categories: To Be (e.g., a zookeeper, a firefighter, a baker), To Meet (e.g., a favorite celebrity or athlete), To Have (e.g., a computer, a play set, a puppy), or To Go (e.g., to a theme park, Hawaii, a major sporting event).
- Any child facing a life-threatening medical condition who is between the ages of two and a half and under the age of 18 at the time of referral and who has not previously been granted a wish by any Make-A-Wish chapter or by any other wish-granting organization is eligible for a wish. Eligible children can be referred by a parent or legal guardian, a family member with detailed knowledge of the child’s current medical condition, or a medical professional involved with their care. We also accept self referrals by children who contact us directly.